The more you know about your audience the better your programs. The more you know about your programs, the greater your impact.
Let us help you with:
• Front-end evaluation:
What do your audiences know, do and need supported to make changes?
• Formative evaluation: How can piloting or prototyping make programs better?
• Capacity building: What can you do on your own? When do you need help?
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Education program evaluations from 1992 to present:
- ongoing teen programs evaluations (WATCH, Student Oceanography Club, Young Women in Science, and Teen Conservation Leaders)
- co-wrote an article on the evaluation of WATCH, a community teen program, for a special issue of Children, Youth & Environments (2011)
- ongoing evaluations of teacher professional development institutes and program satisfaction surveys of teachers (2006, 2008-2009 & 2010-2011)
- consultation on the design and implementation of a theatrical public program evaluation (2012)
- comparative study of school field trip programs (2008-2010)
- Splash Zone Head Start bilingual program evaluations (2005 & 2011)
- literature reviews and consultation on a variety of topics.
COSEE-NOW (Center for Ocean Science Education Excellence—Networked Ocean World): Evaluator for an NSF-funded, multi-institution consortium (Rutgers University, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Liberty Science Center and others) to build a virtual scientist-educator community that uses real-time ocean observatory data for education. Funded from 2002-2007 as COSEE-MA and from 2008-2012 as COSEE-NOW. Chaired the COSEE Evaluation Working Group (EWG) from 2009-2011, which successfully implemented several national surveys of scientists and educators.
Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA: Evaluation advisor for an NSF-funded Pathways grant (2010-2012) to develop a real-time data-visualization public exhibit.
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, NJ: Evaluator of the broader impacts portion of a 2009-2011 NSF-funded Ross Sea research project.
Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA: Evaluation advisor for an NSF-funded project (2012 – 2013) to promote public climate literacy.
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), Moss Landing, CA: Evaluator of an annual teacher professional development program, 2003 – 2008.
NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries, California’s Bay Watershed Education and Training Program (B-WET): Evaluation capacity-building of B-WET grant recipients from 2005 – 2011, including needs assessment, literature reviews, training workshops, consultations and the development of a program evaluation website.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Woods Hole, MA: Evaluator of outreach efforts for NSF-funded International Polar Year expeditions, 2007 – 2008.
ZATPAC (Zoo & Aquarium Teen Program Assessment Consortium): Literature review and workshops for a Packard Foundation-funded, multi-institution consortium to identify best practices for evaluating teen programs. Co-wrote an article published in ZooBiology (2008) on the project results.