How We Can Help
The more you know about your audience the better your programs. The more you know about your programs, the greater your impact.
Let us help you with:
• Front-end evaluation: What do your audiences know, do and need supported to make changes?
• Formative evaluation: How can piloting or prototyping make programs better?
• Capacity building: What can you do on your own? When do you need help?
Monterey Bay Aquarium: Education program evaluations from 1992 to present:
- ongoing teen programs evaluations (WATCH, Student Oceanography Club, Young Women in Science, and Teen Conservation Leaders)
- co-wrote an article on the evaluation of WATCH, a community teen program, for a special issue of Children, Youth & Environments (2011)
- ongoing evaluations of teacher professional development institutes and program satisfaction surveys of teachers (2006, 2008-2009 & 2010-2011)
- consultation on the design and implementation of a theatrical public program evaluation (2012)
- comparative study of school field trip programs (2008-2010)
- Splash Zone Head Start bilingual program evaluations (2005 & 2011)
- literature reviews and consultation on a variety of topics.
COSEE-NOW (Center for Ocean Science Education Excellence—Networked Ocean World): Evaluator for an NSF-funded, multi-institution consortium (Rutgers University, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Liberty Science Center and others) to build a virtual scientist-educator community that uses real-time ocean observatory data for education. Funded from 2002-2007 as COSEE-MA and from 2008-2012 as COSEE-NOW. Chaired the COSEE Evaluation Working Group (EWG) from 2009-2011, which successfully implemented several national surveys of scientists and educators.
Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA: Evaluation advisor for an NSF-funded Pathways grant (2010-2012) to develop a real-time data-visualization public exhibit.
Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, NJ: Evaluator of the broader impacts portion of a 2009-2011 NSF-funded Ross Sea research project.
Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA: Evaluation advisor for an NSF-funded project (2012 – 2013) to promote public climate literacy.
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), Moss Landing, CA: Evaluator of an annual teacher professional development program, 2003 – 2008.
NOAA National Marine Sanctuaries, California’s Bay Watershed Education and Training Program (B-WET): Evaluation capacity-building of B-WET grant recipients from 2005 – 2011, including needs assessment, literature reviews, training workshops, consultations and the development of a program evaluation website.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), Woods Hole, MA: Evaluator of outreach efforts for NSF-funded International Polar Year expeditions, 2007 – 2008.
ZATPAC (Zoo & Aquarium Teen Program Assessment Consortium): Literature review and workshops for a Packard Foundation-funded, multi-institution consortium to identify best practices for evaluating teen programs. Co-wrote an article published in ZooBiology (2008) on the project results.